No Day But Today

Join me in my travels as I explore the world and its wonders. And then ask yourself, where to next?

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Monday, January 04, 2010

Photos from Istanbul, December 2009

My first sighting of the Blue Mosque. Not my last, as you will see. I am enchanted with this building, and am delightfully startled by it every time I see it. By the way, the Blue Mosque is blue on the inside.

The faithful performing pre-prayer ablutions in the courtyard of the Beyazit Mosque.

Exquisite hand-painted tile work at the Topakl Palace, where the Sultans of the Ottoman empire lived for 600 years.

Coffee break with Courtney near the New Mosque.

The Galata Tower behind the Galata Bridge.

My favorite food group is dessert. I counted 13 different types of Baklava. No, I don't miss eating meat!

Fishing from the Galata Bridge, with the new mosque in the background.

No, they are NOT my kids. (One of the FAQs of Istanbul. UGH.) Courtney (NY), Niall and Sasha (UK) Only Courtney is young enough to be my child, if I started really, really early.

The Blue Mosque. I can't stop photographing this building.

Inside the harem of the Topakl Palace - so much to look at and enjoy!

Inside the courtyard of the mighty Blue Mosque, beautiful from every vantage point.

In the courtyard of the Blue Mosque.

The minarets of Aya Sofya in the background of modern-ish day Istanbul.

Istanbul University

Ceramics store - all hand painted work!

Meat eaters, this is your kinda town!

Exquisite tile work and calligraphy.

I'm not proud of this, but here is my view from Starbucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home