No Day But Today

Join me in my travels as I explore the world and its wonders. And then ask yourself, where to next?

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Saturday, September 12, 2009

About the French

The French get a bad rap in the US. You might understand this if you have traveled to Paris as an American tourist. Even the French say Parisians are a different breed.

But saying Parisians represent all of France is like saying that New Yorkers represent all Americans. It simply is not true. And now I have some evidence to confirm that. I have been in the small town of Saint Jean Pied de Port for nearly two weeks and I can tell you first-hand that the French people are lovely.

Each day I share two meals with the volunteer team at the pilgrim's office. I'm an insider now. Have you ever wondered why Europeans insist on closing shop in the middle of the day? I can now tell you that meals are very important here. It's not just the food. It's the company. Of course we must eat, but there seems to be a cultural drive to be together. The fifteen-minute-lunch-at-your-desk practiced by Americans simply won't do.

Meals here are in French - I mean the language, not the food. But the style is also disctinctly French. We eat one thing at a time, never a plateload of food all at once. First is the salad. Then the main item, meat for most people. These courses are accompanied by wine and bread. Next comes the cheese. And finally, something sweet. There is no rush. We are not in a hurry. And if the queue of pilgrims is growing out front, so be it; we have a meal to eat and stories to tell. As for me, I don't understand French, but I am beginning to pick up the meaning of the conversations and many words. A few more months here and I would happily say I'm French. But for now, I'm here for the cheese.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home