No Day But Today

Join me in my travels as I explore the world and its wonders. And then ask yourself, where to next?

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Monday, September 07, 2009

Europe on $40...a Week!


Hello from beautiful this-is-what-they-mean-by-picturesque Saint Jean Pied de Port, France. I have just finished my week of turning people into pilgrims and I am exhausted, but happy. This week more than 1600 people came through the pilgrim's office in Saint Jean Pied de Port to collect credentials and/or stamps. I think this was the busiest week of the year, save a week or two in May.

Some of you heard of my pre-de-jetlag plan...I got up one hour earlier each day for a week before I left for Europe and in a way changed seven time zones before I left CA. You laugh, but it worked. I arrived in France at 11:00a on the 31st, tired from little sleep on the plane, but my body clock had already been set to this time zone. I changed planes and airports in Paris, made my connecting flight by just two minutes, and after an additional bus/train combo arrived in this beautiful town at the foot of the Pyrenees mountains.

My first ATM withdrawal was for 200 euros, roughly $287. Today, I have 174 euros left (26 euros spent). Now I am no math wiz (more of a people person), but I think that's quite an extraordinary budget for a week in France. Each person on the pilgrim's office team kicked in 20 euros to the food kitty upon arrival, and we had money left over - seven euros each. For some reason - maybe they believe in my dream to live in Europe for a year - two team members handed me their leftover euros today, which means I spent...no wait, I got money back. I actually made money eating in France for my first week! I did spend $9 for four AA batteries, but the wine I bought at the same time cost $4, so I just switched the costs in my mind. My room is free - one of the benefits of volunteering. All of this is just a long way to say I LOVE IT HERE!!!

I like it here so much I have asked to stay on until it is time to cross the Pyrenees into Spain (on the 13th). I guess I did a good enough job that the fine people at the office are letting me stay. Then I will meet travelmate Lisa in Pamplona (home of the running of the bulls in July) on the 17th and we will walk, eat berries, and drink Spanish wine together for a couple of weeks. Last stop before Lisa leaves will be Madrid (first few days in October). If you are hankering for a trip to Europe, come meet us and help celebrate Lisa's birthday in this beautiful, vibrant Spanish city.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

St. Jean looks and sounds like paradise. Thank you very much for reminding those of us off the Camino for now of what matters.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home