No Day But Today

Join me in my travels as I explore the world and its wonders. And then ask yourself, where to next?

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What Things Cost in India

This is the land of plenty for those of us carrying US dollars, European euros, and the British pound. The current exchange rate gives 46 rupees for each US dollar. Here's what I was paying in Rishikesh:

Hotel room (big one!) (with Ganga river view, 24 hour hot water, TV): 380 rupees per night

Cafe Americano: 45 rupees

Pizza for one: 120 rupees

1 Liter water: 15 rupees

Roll of toilet paper: 20 rupees

Internet access: 20 rupees per hour

Snickers bar: 35 rupees

7-hour train ride: 350 rupees

Giant bowl of muesli/fruit/yogurt: 60 rupees

Fresh papaya juice, 16 oz: 35 rupees

Postcards: 5 rupees

Beer: not available

Chips and guacamole: 80 rupees

Toothbrush: 69 rupees

Tub of Nutella: 200 rupees

Wages of my hotel manager: 400 rupees per month (for 30 days, 16+ hours per day)

In general, if things are brought in from the west, you pay western prices, including airfare. Things produced locally or provided by people making local wages, you pay Indian prices.

2 Comments:

Blogger ClearSeer said...

Great post, as usual. Beer - not available? How, why, when????? Unless you are counting out Indian beer? Or does this have to do with Rishikesh?

12:00 AM  
Blogger Sidonie/Miami said...

I am moving to Rishikesh in a few months, how much $ should I bring for one month?

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home