No Day But Today

Join me in my travels as I explore the world and its wonders. And then ask yourself, where to next?

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Bäckerhaus Tour of Europe


I now know why Europeans walk so much. It´s so they can eat more. The more you walk, the more calories you burn, the more you can eat. I am writing from the city of München, aka Munich. I love this city. It´s Spring and three days before Easter and the city is dressed up in its finest. These people know how to dress a window. The shops are a controlled riot of color and style. For one of the rare times in my travels I wish I were going home right after Germany, simply so I could buy stuff to bring back with me.

The flowers are in bloom, in boxes and squares around the city. Again, a riot of color, and I realize how closely I associate color and beauty.

Today I watched and listened to the glockenspiel in the Marienplatz (main square) ring in 11:00am. It was like Disneyland, at the It´s a Small World ride, when the figures circle around excitedly declaring the hour. And it dawns on me, Disneyland is not the real world; this is. (Don´t tell your children yet.) This beautiful, magical, delicious world is the real one, and it is magnificent.

And then I remember, I am in Europe to walk. To walk a really long walk, across Spain. Focusfocusfocus. All the walking I am doing now, I tell myself is training for the Camino. But let´s be honest, it´s just to facilitate caloric burn so I can eat more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home